This blog post is part of my Oracle database consolidation blog which you can read here.
DemoI will be using my dbtest1 184.108.40.206 non-CDB database to plug into my container database testdbs. The PDB will be called dev1db.
The non-CDB must be 220.127.116.11.
The compatible parameter must be set to 18.104.22.168.0
The character set for the non-cdb must match the cdb charatcer set.
1. Check the character set and the compatible parameter in the 22.214.171.124 database.
- SQL>SHOW PARAMETER COMPATIBLE
- SQL>select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS where parameter ='NLS_CHARACTERSET';
3. Click on Oracle Database>Provisioning>Provision Pluggable Databases>
4. Select migrate existing databases and click launch.
5. Set database login credential click login.
7. Click add and select the database we are going to adopt then click select.
8. Set the database and host credentials, set the export directory, fill in the destination information, select datafile location and import directory then click next. Set the object exists action to take.
In my case I used the same directory for export and import but these directories can be different.
I set the name of the PDB to dev1db but you can leave the PDB name the same as the non-CDB.
9. Pre-check process will begin...
10. When validation is complete click close.
11. Give the job a new and description then set the schedule and click next.
In my case I left the name as is and the schedule as immediately.
12. Review your migration job and click submit.
13. Confirmation of job successful submitted will pop up click view job.
14. You can review the procedure activity to see the status of each step in the process. Expand the procedure steps and select the step. In the step details you can review the details of the step or steps you have selected.
15. In the below screenshot you can see in the step details it list the logs that are being created for the procedure step "Create Pluggable Database Step" click the link of the log to see what is written into the log.
16. Here we can see the output of the log as the step is running.
17. To get back to the job activity click Enterprise>Provisioning and Patching>Procedure Activity. Click the job name.
18. On the server we can see the files that are created on the directory we specified.
19. When the job completes all procedure step will show completed.
20. From the container home page we can see information about the pluggable database.
21. From the server we log into the container database and can see the new PDB database and active service.
If you want to see a video of this demo watch below.
Follow me on Twitter